Stretching Your Food Dollar
Planning ahead is the key to saving time and money at the grocery store. Last month, we partnered with Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Service to provide our Collin County families with a nutrition class on . If you were unlucky to have missed this class, I have summarized some excellent tips for you to use on your next grocery shopping adventure.
- Plan to prepare and eat foods you already have at home.
- Know how much money you have to spend on food.
- Plan your weekly meals and snacks. Preparing in advance will help you know what you need and also help you put leftovers to good use.
- Buy only the amount of food you can use before it spoils.
- Make a shopping list based on the money you have to spend and what food you will need.
- Use store coupons, sales, and specials. Only use coupons on foods you normally eat.
- For added savings, sign up for the store discount card or bonus card at your local supermarket.
- Have something to eat before you shop. It’s easier to stick to your list when you are not hungry.
- Try store brands. They are the same quality and cost less.
- Compare products for the best deal.
- Store food right away in the refrigerator or freezer to keep it fresh.
- If you buy a large amount of fresh food, divide it into meal-size packages, label the food, and freeze it for later use.
- Use foods with the earliest expiration dates first.
We hope you find these tips useful! If you are interested in learning more about how to stretch your food dollar while grocery shopping, we will be hosting another free class on Tuesday, May 24th from 5pm-6pm at Plano Children’s Medical Clinic. Click here for flyer and event details.