Recipe for Reducing Holiday Stress
Do you find that the holidays create stress in your life? A recent poll indicated that more than 80% of us experience the holiday season to be “somewhat” or “very” stressful. The holidays require preparation and coordination, and so does managing stress. What is the recipe for surviving holiday stress? HSNT’s behavioral health team takes a look at what causes holiday stress and what we can do to reduce stress and its negative impact.
What Causes Holiday Stress?
• Doing too much
• Eating, drinking and spending too much
• For some, too much togetherness
• For others, not enough togetherness
Recipe Ingredients to Reduce Holiday Stress:
1. Take calm-down breaks- When you feel frustrated close your eyes and take several deep breaths for 1-5 mins.
2. Make realistic expectations- This applies to yourself and to others. Set realistic goals and pace yourself. Make a list and prioritize your goals.
3. Get moving, exercise- Perhaps one of the best ways to combat stress is to exercise regularly. Even a brisk 15 minute walk can make a difference.
4. Eat real food mostly- Choose leans meats (such as fish and chicken), vegetables and fruits and healthy fats (like olive oil). Take small portions of “comfort” foods and drinks.
5. Be generous- This doesn’t mean your money. Be generous with your time and your compliments. Be helpful to others.
Take time to enjoy the moment and be present- Live in the moment and enjoy it!